Across Europe, when a CNP transaction on a Visa card is authenticated using EMV® 3-D Secure, the average approval rate is 92% versus non-3-D Secure at 79%.¹ WOW. Think about what that can mean to your business.
With the newest version, you get additional features, a better customer experience AND you meet the requirements for the government mandates in Europe and other regions.
EMV 3DS v2.2 builds on the features of earlier versions of EMV 3DS, and adds some bonus features that matter:
1. The ability to apply Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) exemptions, like Transaction Risk Analysis (TRA), using specific indicators in the authentication message, which is not supported in the earlier versions.
2. Access to Visa’s new suite of SCA solutions that help issuers and acquirers make best use of the exemptions:
- Visa Trusted Listing –issuers create a list of trusted merchants and no authentication is needed for future transactions (risk assessment permitting)
- Visa Transaction Advisor – a risk assessment tool that helps determine eligibility for a low risk exemption
- Visa Delegated Authentication –issuers have the ability to delegate SCA out to a separate entity, most likely a merchant.
3. Other EMV 3DS features help merchants with some specific use cases:
- Enables biometric and out of band authentication - you get a better consumer experience with the same lower fraud levels that are associated with SCA (bonus!) all while ensuring little friction and abandonment
- 3DS Requestor Initiated (3RI) - for merchants who need to submit several authorizations associated to one single authentication, like a subscription (think Netflix), they can obtain additional cryptograms after their first successful authorization
- It's important to note that some exemptions depend on the merchant’s acquirer and their fraud rates, and that merchants may not qualify for all exemptions. Be sure to talk to your acquirer to see what you will be able to use*
- Informational Only (Transaction Status = “I”) - This is a new status result within the EMV 3DS v2.2 specification. It allows an issuer to facilitate features and solutions where merchants might want to share additional information in order to receive benefits for doing so. Some examples of features that use this informational only option are Acquirer Transaction Risk Analysis and Visa Delegated Authentication, but we expect this use case to grow as EMV 3DS v2.2 gains traction and adoption within the market.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Think about what your business needs and let’s talk
¹ Visa Authorization data 2019, Merchant Bulletin, Second Edition, Optimizing Your Customer Experience with Payment Services Directive (PSD2) Strong Customer Authentication (SCA), 19 December 2019
EMV® is a registered trademark in the U.S. and other countries and an unregistered trademark elsewhere. The EMV trademark is owned by EMVCo, LLC
Posted by CardinalCommerce
EMV 3DS can help manage PSD2 SCA’s exemptions. See if they’ll work for you.
At Cardinal, our 2020 resolution is all about building our existing capabilities and expanding our reach in the latest protocols. See what we've got planned for 2020.
Learn how authentication affects Card-not-Present authorization rates and key statistics on fraud in the clothing and footwear industry.
Authentication is core to payment processing in Europe, so if your digital transactions are not authenticated, you will be expected to implement a solution before your business is impacted.
You'll be the first to hear about new products, features, and company updates.