As a small business owner, one of the easiest ways to increase sales and grow your business is by providing great customer service. It will improve your reputation relative to competitors, and ensure that your customers are always satisfied. Here are some things to keep in mind when focusing on improving customer service:
- Listen to your customers. Don’t ask for the same information twice. Get it right the first time.
- Personalize your service. Customers want to speak to a person, not an automated machine. They wouldn’t have called if they didn’t have important questions. Instead, they would have gone to your website. Remember that when you try to push a customer to your website when you are on the phone with them. Again, there’s usually a good reason they picked up the phone. Maybe they can’t figure out how to navigate your website, or perhaps they don’t have a good connection. Whatever the issue, it’s your job as a small business owner to respect it.
- It’s better to under-promise and over-deliver, than to make a promise to a customer that you can’t keep.
- Always keep the customer informed. No one likes to be left out of the loop. If you have information that is pertinent to a customer's issue, share it with them. If their order is delayed, let them know. Customers prefer honesty and transparency every time.
- Organize a complaints resolution process. There is nothing better for an angry customer than someone who will listen to their frustrations. Small businesses can learn a lot from unsatisfied customers. Make sure you always listen. This is a great opportunity to turn an unhappy customer into a new advocate for your business.